Nootropics, also known as smart drugs, are brain-boosting supplements that really gain popularity over the years.
With a wide array of Nootropics available in the market, how would you know which type is the one you need?
And where to buy Nootropics: GNC, Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, Vitamin Shoppe, or…?
Nootropics List: Which Brain Supplement Do You Need?
Here is the overview of 5 popular nootropics, their benefits, the medical research and clinical results:
#1: PiracetamPiracetam is the mildest member of the ‘Racetam’ family in nootropics, whereby it is often considered the entry level ‘smart drug’ for beginners. Piracetam has a variety of physiological effects that help restoration of cell membrane fluidity by modulating neurotransmission in a range of transmitter systems.
With the most noticeable benefit of this supplement is to improve the ability to memorize and learn, Piracetam is particularly popular amongst students seeking an extra boost for their studies efficiency or exams.
Medical researches provide compelling evidence on efficacy of piracetam in cognitive impairment, with the supporting clinical results include:
- Study by Grenoble University Hospital of France that demonstrated Piracetam provided high success rate of improved cognition.
- Research published by the U.S. National Library of Medicine that show the volunteers’ verbal learning had significantly increased after consumed Piracetam for 14 days.
- 81% of 52 children involved in study by Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences had their Breath Holding Spells disappeared completely after taking Piracetam as an effective prophylactic treatment.
- Bakirkoy State Hospital of Turnkey and Cairo University of Egypt also concluded that Piracetam is a safe and effective treatment of breath-holding spells in children.
- >> Learn more on benefits of Piracetam and how it works
#2: NoopeptNoopept is a Piracetam alternative in the ‘Racetams’ family, with noopept is far more potent.
Noopept basically modulates the acetylcholine system and the α-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazolepropionic acid receptors in the central nervous system.
Noopept has been used clinically in Russia since 1995, with its initial premise was for elder civilians who were aged 60 and above with cognitive disorders.
The benefits of Noopept are scientifically proven with the supporting by medical research and clinical results include:
- The Russian Academy of Medical Sciences in Moscow conducted clinical study with results showed that Noopept at 10mg twice daily appeared to be more effective than 1200mg Piracetam daily in aiding recovery of brain damage from vascular damage.
- Report by The Journal of Psychopharmacology shows Noopept restores spatial memory and increases immunoreactivity to amyloid in an Alzheimer’s disease model.
- Biomedical publications reported 3 healthy men were given a single oral 20 mg dose resulted in peak plasma noopept concentrations of approximately 13–33 μg/L at 30–60 minutes, helping to boost user’s concentration level.
- >> Learn more on benefits of Noopept and how it works
#3: AdrafinilFrench scientists first discovered Adrafinil in the 70’s. While Adrafinil is a popular nootropic for memory enhancement, Adrafinil is now widely embraced by many to stay mentally alert and active, whereby Adrafinil acts upon the central nervous system and stimulates the brain cells within, arouses the mind which then increases mental alertness.
This is especially helpful for people who have to stay awake in the night for different reasons. For examples, people on night duty like nurses, and professionals who suffer from a lack of concentration, fatigue, and drowsiness due to lack of proper night sleep or insufficient sleep.
According to Wiley Online Library, researches show consistent results that indicate Adrafinil is highly beneficial in the treatment of patients with deficits in vigilance, attention, and behavior:
- Israel et al. examined the effects of Adrafinil in 99 ambulatory patients, with the results showed marked improvements on the Dynamic Intellect Scale measures of attention, concentration, confusion, power of recall, forgetting, vigilance, and fatigue in the Adrafinil group by day 45.
- Kohler and Lubin examined the effects of Adrafinil in 304 patients with difficulties in attention-concentration, while also displayed problems with memory and anxiety. The patients received Adrafinil for 3 months showed improvements in vigilance, attention, concentration, memory functions, and autonomy without secondary effects.
- Dewailly et al. studied Adrafinil in 86 patients with troubles of wakefulness or vigilance, and the study results revealed improvements in cognitive and relational troubles by day 30, while the patients taking Adrafinil were also less depressed / irritable and more patient / sociable / communicative.
- >> Learn more on benefits of Adrafinil and how it works
#4: AniracetamWhile Aniracetam is typically used as alternative to improve memory and increase mental alertness –
it has also been known to help manage anxiety, depression, and sleep disorders.
- The Journal of Psychopharmacology in 2001 reported a study conducted on mice, and Aniracetam demonstrated its ability to help anxiety disorders treatment by affecting a number of neurotransmitter leading to alleviated anxiety.
- Animal-based study reported in 2001 publication of European Journal of Pharmacology indicated Aniracetam helped stimulate the release of dopamine, and therefore lowering levels of depression.
- CNS Drug Reviews in 2002 revealed the beneficial effects of Aniracetam in treatment of various central nervous system disorders and diseases, with findings show it is conceivable that metabolites of Aniracetam contribute to pharmacological effects.
- A study conducted in Virginia Commonwealth University in 2004 tested the effects of Aniracetam on cognitive performance in post-injury rats, with results showed significant improvement in MWM (Morris Water Maze) performance compared to saline-treated animals after 15 days.
- >> Learn more on benefits of Noopept and how it works
This nootropic has been used back in 1960’s Russia, particularly to relieve stress and anxiety attacks, as well as for certain psychiatric disorder such as Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and severe depressions.
Phenibut (short for beta-phenyl-gamma-aminobutyric acid) is a anixolytic comes from a compound called GABA, a type of neurotransmitter responsible for signal transmission efficiency, as well as to elevate mood, reduce anxiety, enhance thinking abilities, and induce a calming effect for a sound sleep.
Medical research results show Phenibut’s efficiency is proven in helping the brain to relax while enhancing their capabilities.
For instance, Russian Academy of Sciences in Moscow published a clinical research using rabbits injected with a derivative of Phenibut, with the results shows that not only this nootropic enhance inhibitory receptors, but also a several components and responses related to learning mechanisms and in a way. It shows that Phenibut helps and improves the brain health for good.
Where To Buy Nootropics: GNC, Walmart, Walgreens, CVS?
If we search for Nootropics supplement at official websites of established pharmacies and stores like GNC / Walmart / Walgreens / CVS / Vitamin Shoppe / Boots UK etc –
It is observed that the nootropics are either totally not available for sale in these stores, or very limited product (eg. GNC only has 2 nootropics and CVS only has 1 nootropic product) — as shown below.
Nootropic Suppliers: Absorb Health and Peak Nootropics
Nootropics are available to buy over the counter online via the official website of Top 2 nootropic supplements provider in the market:
Located in Southport of North Carolina USA, Absorb Your Health is the market leader of nootropic supplements, with its wide range of product portfolio includes Adrafinil, Noopept, Galantamine, Pramiracetam, Liposomal Vitamin c, Matrixyl 3000 serum, and much more.
Nootropic Reviews In A Nutshell
There is no one single “best” nootropic product, as it depends on what you need, such as:
- Piracetam and Noopept that improves ability to memorize and help learning.
- Adrafinil is memory enhancer that particularly helps to stay mentally alert and active.
- Aniracetam that helps manage anxiety, depression, and sleep disorders.
- Phenibut with calming effect to keep user relax.
- and much more.
While Nootropics are not or hardly available in pharmacies and stores like GNC / Walmart / Walgreens / CVS / Vitamin Shoppe / Boots UK etc –